Hola, Néih hóu, Bula, Bonjour, Aloha, Konnichi wa, Mogethin, Kia Ora, Hi

-Hola, Néih hóu, Bula, Bonjour, Aloha, Konnichi wa, Mogethin, Kia Ora, Hi-
No matter what your language, cadence, or creed, I'm glad you're here =)

"She's tired of flat lands and cornfields, Seashells traced in snow. She wants more bugs on her windshield, She don't want to go alone...She talks about her waterfall fountain, And her house out on the bay. She's in love with broken glass mountains, Fireplace cafes."

Translation, please!

Monday, October 31, 2011

A Birthday Blog

Today I am twice the age of my favorite number.

Golly.

When I was 11, I was in 6th grade, and would turn 12 in 7th grade. Wow.
Who I was then, that scared kid that I saw in the mirror, is so very different than who I am now.

There are still, of course, those foundational beliefs and quirks that make me, me. But so much has changed, I would hardly recognize that kid if I saw her today. There's heaps songs and poems and stories based on the idea of "if I could take it all back, what would I change?" or "If I could tell a younger me what the older me knows now, what would I say?"

For me, I don't know that I would change much. If I could change things without affecting the person who I am today, I might do it, just to make things a little easier on younger me. But I like who I am today, so if that had to change, I wouldn't go for it. But, if I could stay the same, I guess I would change the habits I never formed. I never learned to not procrastinate, I never learned to work out or eat properly, I never learned to read my Bible and chill with God daily. I mean, I knew all of those things were good to know, but I never formed the habits. And so, here I am twice that age and trying to form many of these habits seemingly from scratch.

I have phenomenal parents, so that's a bit of a head start for me.

If I could tell 11 year old Netti something profound, some sort of advice, I guess it would be a whole heap of things.

-God loves you and always has, and aside from that, He WANTS you.
-Your sister turns out pretty cool in a few years, give it some time.
-When you get that first job, save more, go to the movies less.
-When you are babysitting for that one family, don't park in the driveway - all those dents will be avoided that way.
-Stop thinking - seriously, do something you enjoy.
-High school is a ginormous waste of time - get your GED or Home school. But don't stop playing the violin, you regret that one a lot.
-I know you think it's love, but I promise you, you're going to love those girlies that stick by you a whole lot more than this boy whose name you forget. Invest in your friends.
-Don't be embarrassed to write, you're actually not terrible at it.
-The truth is always the best way to go.
-When Kessi wants to sit on the armrest of the couch, take Abby's side and make her get down. There will be a lot less blood that way.
-When you decide you want to learn an instrument, even when it gets boring, stick to it. I promise you it'll be worth it.
-When you bake that one cake, think ahead. You'll have one less scar that way.
-When you go to Fiji, take some decent shoes with you - you might have a chance at avoiding a few more injuries that way.

There's more. Not because anything was particularly traumatizing, but because it might help me along the way.

I have become someone I like and am not ashamed of. I might look pretty much the same on the outside, but the inside holds a very different girl, a very redeemed girl. And I have God, and the people He's graciously placed in my life to thank for that.

Seriously, He's worth a try ;)

So thank you heaps to everyone who wished me a happy day, and thanks a million times over to the people who have invested in me. These people have helped to mold me and helped me to grow into the person I am today - They have allowed me to learn that growth is good, a wise person grows until the day they die.

I love you dearly <3


















No comments:

Post a Comment

"And remember, this is for posterity's sake, so be honest. How do you feel?"