Hola, Néih hóu, Bula, Bonjour, Aloha, Konnichi wa, Mogethin, Kia Ora, Hi

-Hola, Néih hóu, Bula, Bonjour, Aloha, Konnichi wa, Mogethin, Kia Ora, Hi-
No matter what your language, cadence, or creed, I'm glad you're here =)

"She's tired of flat lands and cornfields, Seashells traced in snow. She wants more bugs on her windshield, She don't want to go alone...She talks about her waterfall fountain, And her house out on the bay. She's in love with broken glass mountains, Fireplace cafes."

Translation, please!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sleepless nights and Human Nature

My sleep schedule has gone to the birds. (that is an expression isn't it? well it is now regardless...=P)

So I am writing as opposed to sleeping, which i should have started doing...31 minutes ago, if I want the full 8 hours.

Who am I kidding though really, I very rarely sleep that long in a night. I am not inclined towards an early bed time, so I suppose it is a good thing that I can function on smaller amounts of sleep than some.

I am thinking about human nature tonight. If every person is different, then what is human nature? Maybe we're not all as different as we think, maybe that's some sort of fairytale that we've woven for so many years to console our fears of conformity. Of being the same.

Maybe that's a Western thing. In the other cultures I've been in, that hasn't really been the case.

Maybe it's a balance between the two, human nature is at our base and sits at our core waiting to be evoked. But the outward layers of our selves are composed of things that are more individualized.

Maybe it has more to do with personal preference. For example, I love to write, it's fun for me, its therapeutic. For my dear brother, it is the last thing on earth he would choose to do. (this is an overstatement, obviously. I'm sure there are other things [dishes, sweeping, murder] that he would choose writing over)

But at the same time, we are human (or at least nothing has otherwise been proven thus far...), therefore we must both have some sort of human nature within us. Or is that the Fallen side of people? Is human nature all about selfishness, and dispute, and jealousy?

Or is human nature the predictability of a person, with humanity being subject to the individual? Like how I would react to a situation differently than some others might. Is my reaction a reflex of my human nature?

I'm rambling, I know. I'm just curious (I'm always curious, I can't help it), I want to know the answer. Is there an answer?

Maybe the answer lies in more sleep and less thinking.

Then again, "She that fails to command her thoughts will soon lose command of her actions"

No comments:

Post a Comment

"And remember, this is for posterity's sake, so be honest. How do you feel?"